Changing Gears In A Manual Car
December 08, 2016 at 2:32 PM
Driving a manual car is a bit more involving than driving an automatic.
You will need to shift gears as your car’s speed increases or decreases. It takes a bit of practise, but you’ll be ok if you follow the steps below.
Starting the vehicle and putting it into gear
Before you start the car:
• Ensure the handbrake is on.
• Press the clutch all the way in.
• Check the car is in neutral. The lever should be in the middle space between gears.
Now, with the clutch still pressed in:
• Ignite the engine.
• Shift to the 1st or reverse gear depending on the direction you want to go.
• Prepare to set off.
Shifting gears when driving
To change gears when driving:
1. Swiftly press in the clutch.
2. Shift into the next gear down or up – depending on whether you are increasing or decreasing speed.
3. Slowly let out the clutch.
Keep your eyes fixed on the road when changing gears, not looking down at the gear lever. Do some practice with the engine off to get comfortable shifting without looking before you hit the road.