Changing Lanes On A Multi-lane Road
August 10, 2017 at 3:14 PM
It might seem like a straight forward manoeuvre, but changing lanes can be quite tricky. There’re a number of things you need to think about while at the same time evaluating the spaces around your car carefully.
Here’re the steps for changing lanes safely:
- Look ahead to see if there’re hazards such as traffic that has slowed or stopped or cyclists and pedestrians that could make changing lanes dangerous.
- Check your mirrors, indicate, and do a shoulder check.
- Scan the road in front once more and check your mirrors and blind spots again.
- If you are comfortable with the gap, steer your vehicle smoothly and decisively into the next lane.
- Adjust your speed appropriately to match the flow of the traffic in that lane.
- Perform another mirror check once you have changed lanes.