Driving Around Curves – Speed Control
May 18, 2017 at 10:15 AM
Driving around curves at higher speeds takes both skill and a cool head. That’s because you will have less time to react and your vehicle will handle differently.
Controlling your speed is essential to ensuring you negotiate curves safely. Here are some tips on how to control your speed:
- Check and use the recommended speed on a turn if there is a sign.
- Reduce your car’s speed before reaching the curve for more control.
- Slow down further for sharp curves and when the conditions are not good.
- Avoid breaking during the curve as this reduces the grip and stability of your car.
- Shift down before the curve if it’s necessary.
- If you are driving through a series of downhill bends, brake firmly when on the straight parts and more gently on the curves.
- Maintain uniform speed around the curve unless you entered too fast or the curve gets tighter.
- Accelerate back to your cruising speed when the road ahead starts straightening.