Driving In Traffic - Planning Ahead & Staying Alert
April 24, 2017 at 2:24 PM
You need to plan your route in advance before driving on busy roads.
Planning ahead before you drive in a busy area means you have one less thing to worry about when driving. You also need to be aware of the traffic around you at all times when driving on busy roads for safety.
Do the following when driving in busy traffic:
- Check your mirrors regularly.
- Check your blind spots especially when you want to change lanes.
- Keep on the lookout for motorcyclists and cyclists who might come through between lanes or on your left.
- Be on the lookout for drivers making abrupt lane changes without signalling or pulling into small gaps in traffic.
- Try to predict the actions of other drivers on the road so that you have more time to react if need be. Look for clues such as the direction drivers are looking, the direction their wheels are pointing to or small forward movements from side streets.
By doing these things, you’ll be able to identify and predict hazards so that you can take action to avoid an accident.