Emergency Driving – What To Do When Your Accelerator Gets Stuck
April 10, 2018 at 2:17 PM
It does not happen often, but when your accelerator pedal malfunctions or sticks, the situation can be quite frightening and dangerous. When the accelerator pedal sticks, your car will keep increasing speed while your braking efforts become unresponsive. If you find yourself in this situation, keep calm and do the following:
- Keep your hands on the steering wheel and remain focused on the road ahead.
- Tap the pedal a couple of times and try to lift it with your toes to see if it will come loose.
- If the accelerator pedal remains stuck, shift gears to neutral and then start braking. Your engine will race, but because your gear is in neutral, no power will be transferred to your wheels.
- Steer your vehicle off the road and bring it to a stop.
- Switch off the engine and put on your hazard lights.
- If your car does not shift into neutral, turn your ignition off as the last resort but don’t put it into “LOCK” as this will lock up your steering wheel. Then apply the brakes to stop.
Once the car stops, call for help so that a professional can fix it before you drive it again.