Hill Driving – Hill Starts Facing Downhill (Automatic)
February 09, 2017 at 3:11 PM
Hill starts are much easier when you are facing downhill because gravity is pulling you forward rather than backward. But even though it’s easier, several steps still need to be followed to ensure your vehicle is not pulled into a dangerous position.
These are the steps for a downhill hill start:
- Press the footbrake down.
- Put the gear in drive.
- Release the parking brake or handbrake gently.
- Indicate, check your mirrors and do a shoulder check.
- Release the footbrake smoothly.
- Use as little or as much accelerator as you require to move at a safe speed. This will depend on the gradient of the slope and the type of vehicle you are driving.