Hill Driving – Hill starts facing downhill (Manual)
March 01, 2017 at 2:15 PM
It’s much easier performing a hill start when facing downhill than uphill as gravity will help you out instead of working against you. You’ll still need to follow a couple of steps to do it successfully and safely.
Here are the steps for a downslope hill start:
- Press the footbrake down.
- Put the car in the first gear.
- Release the handbrake.
- Indicate, check your mirrors and blind spot.
- Let up the footbrake slightly while simultaneously releasing the clutch. You can give the car a bit of accelerator if you feel like it’s about to stall.
- Use the accelerator if needed as you pull away at a safe speed – how much accelerator you need will depend on how steep the slope is and the type of car you are driving.