Hill Driving – Hill Starts Facing Uphill (Automatic)
January 31, 2017 at 1:57 PM
For practising hill starts, make sure to choose a spot that does not slope too steeply and where there is adequate space behind you.
Follow these steps when you are ready to go:
- Pull up the handbrake and press the release button.
- Keep the handbrake engaged by holding it up.
- Press on the accelerator gently until you feel the vehicle pulling.
- Release the handbrake gently – if you start rolling back, pull up the handbrake again and repeat the procedure until you get the correct balance.
- When you have steady control of the car, indicate, check your mirrors, and do a shoulder check.
- If all’s clear, push down the accelerator smoothly and pull away.