How To Drive Safely In Wet Weather?
October 20, 2017 at 3:37 AM
Wet weather makes the road slippery and also makes it hard to see ahead clearly. This significantly increases the risk of having an accident which means that you have to be extra careful to remain safe.
Here are some tips to help you drive safely in wet weather:
- Reduce your speed and increase your following distance to at least four seconds.
- Look at least 12 seconds ahead for big puddles as these can cause your car to lose its grip if you drive into them at high speed. You should also keep an eye out for sprays from other vehicles especially larger ones. Maintain a bigger following distance or drive more to the left if vehicles from the other side of the road are spraying you.
- Be more careful if it is raining after a dry spell as the dirt and grease build-up will make the road more slippery.
- Try driving in the tracks of the vehicle in front of you as this part of the road will be slightly drier.
- Be extra careful when driving at night in wet conditions as the glare from streetlights could make it difficult to see road markings.