How To Overtake
June 14, 2017 at 9:50 AM
If you are stuck behind another vehicle and you decide it is safe to overtake, the next step you need to take is to pass the vehicle safely and smoothly.
Follow these steps when overtaking another vehicle:
1. Maintain a distance of at least 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you just in case they suddenly brake. Stay further behind if it’s a larger vehicle so that you can see in front of it.
2. Shift to a gear that will let you accelerate quickly as you pass if you are driving a manual car.
3. Follow this three step routine to get ready for overtaking:
- Check your mirrors and do a shoulder check.
- Indicate for at least 3 seconds before you make a move.
- Check again if there is enough space to comfortably overtake and then check over your shoulder and your mirrors once more.
4. If it is safe to pass:
- Accelerate and quickly move to the right and overtake the vehicle.
- Start signalling left as you pass and prepare to pull in in front of the vehicle you have overtaken when you can see it in your rear mirror.
- Do a shoulder check and pull back into the left lane.
Be ready to stop overtaking in case you feel uncomfortable about the gap.