Overtaking Cyclists – How To
April 10, 2018 at 4:44 PM
Cyclists generally move at a slower speed than cars, so you’ll often find yourself needing to overtake them. Because of their vulnerability, however, you’ll need to take extra care when passing them.
Here’re the steps for passing a cyclist:
- Check your mirrors and blind spot and indicate right.
- If you’re clear, move right and overtake the cyclist.
- Indicate left as you pass the cyclist.
- Look over your shoulder to ensure you’re clear of the cyclist before moving back to the left.
- Return your car to the correct position.
- Check once more for the cyclist in your mirror to ensure they’re safe.
- Avoid crowding the cyclist by maintaining a distance of at least 1.5m between your car and them.
- Ensure there’s adequate space to pass safely. Slow down and wait if there isn’t.