Special Vehicle Lanes – How To Deal With Them
June 28, 2018 at 2:44 PM
There are different types of special vehicle lanes on the road; they include transit, bus and cycle lanes. These special lanes are differentiated from regular lanes by road markings or signs. You are not allowed to use these lanes if your vehicle does not meet the conditions set for driving on them. You can, however, drive on a special vehicle lane if you are:
• Turning, or
• Driving to a vehicle entrance or parking space.
Follow these steps when merging into a special lane:
• Perform a mirror check.
• Indicate for a minimum of 3 seconds.
• Perform a blind-spot check.
• Give way to all vehicles on the lane including cyclists.
• Smoothly steer into the lane.
• Once on the special lane, keep in mind that you are not allowed to drive on it for more than 50 metres while performing your manoeuvre.
While some special vehicle lanes are in operation 24/7, others operate during a specific time. Make sure to check and follow the rules for using any special vehicle lane.