Using Simple Roundabouts - The Approach
March 22, 2017 at 3:29 PM
When you are approaching a roundabout, make sure to always look well ahead to get a clear idea of how it’s laid out and how busy it is. This will make working out your exit route and positioning your car to get on to the roundabout easier.
Once you are close enough to the roundabout, you’ll need to follow a routine quite similar to that for approaching an intersection, which is as follows:
- Check your mirrors for traffic behind you as you start decelerating for the roundabout.
- Indicate early enough – right for right, left for left and no signal (yet) for straight through.
- Plan your course including the exit you want to take.
- Slow down as you approach the roundabout.
- Shift the gear to 2nd or 1st if you’ll need to stop.
- Find a gap in the flowing traffic.