Learner Driver Beware: 10 Common Mistakes
June 15, 2015 at 4:28 PM
Driving, just like any other skill, requires time to be perfected. It is thus common for learner drivers to make mistakes in their first few months before they get enough experience.
There are a few driving mistakes that most learners keep repeating over and over again. We will list them so that you can try to avoid them next time you are out on the road.
- Changing lanes without looking. This is extremely dangerous and could lead to a serious accident. You should check your mirrors before switching to another lane.
- Speeding. Don’t try to drive as fast as other motorists on the road if you do not have enough experience. It can be dangerous if you cannot bring your car to a halt quickly and safely.
- Getting distracted. Distractions such as fiddling with vehicle electronics, phone calls or texting can keep you from noticing and responding to dangerous situations on the road. Avoid them.
- Maintaining the wrong following distance. New drivers often overestimate their ability to stop their vehicle in time. Make sure you always maintain a large enough safety margin between you and the car ahead.
- Not wearing the seat belt. A seat belt could sometimes decide who survives a crash and who doesn’t. Make sure you always wear your belt for safety. (Source: http://www.dmv.org/insurance/common-driving-mistakes-teens-make.php)
- Forgetting to indicate. New drivers often forget to signal when making turns and switching lanes. Make sure you indicate during these two situations to avoid accidents.
- Driving tired. Drowsiness decreases your awareness and delays your reaction time which could result in accidents. If you are struggling to stay awake, let someone else drive.
- Braking sharply. Learner drivers find it difficult to judge the time it will take them to stop and when to start braking. Braking sharply does not give the driver behind you enough time to adjust his/her speed and this could result in an accident. Make sure you always brake gently. (Source: http://minituition.co.uk/latest-posts/5-common-mistakes-learner-drivers-make/)
- Not stopping at stop signs. Many learner drivers don’t stop at the stop sign. This could be dangerous to you and other motorists. Make sure you obey all the road signs.
- Incorrect positioning. Always make sure that your car remains inside the lane you are using especially around bends. Make sure you do not go too far into the road. (Source: http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/most-common-driving-test-mistakes/)
It might seem like a lot to remember right now but if you keep practicing, all these things will become instinctive.
Click on image for larger view